With HLO now more or less a reliable runner with very few issues, I have decided to turn my attention to the families other 2000. Some of you may remember this one as my daily runner 2008-2010 until I swapped it for HLO. Unfortunately, it was in 2010 that she last saw any significant use aside from the yearly run out for the MOT, the last of which expired in 2013. As my younger brother is now looking to start driving and has expressed an interest in the car however, I figured I should probably set to getting her back on the road.
Her last MOT was a fail and the couple before had a few advises so I’m using these as my job list. Currently detailing the following;
- Nearside and Offside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded
- Nearside and Offside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
- Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
- Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint
- Service brake: efficiency below requirements
- Parking brake: efficiency below requirements
- Nearside and Offside Headlamp aim too high
Advisory notice item(s)
- Holes and corrosion to nearside and offside floor and outer sills at front
- Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint
- Nearside and Offside Front wheel bearing have slight play
- Deterioration to rear view mirrors
- Offside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover deteriorated
- Suspension joint offside lower dust cover split/missing
It looks to be mostly welding work with some minor tasks such as boot replacement and headlight alignment. Aside from this list however extra jobs will undoubtedly come along. She will start and run, but not particularly smoothly as she needs the carburetor throttle and accelerator linkages rebuilding, the exhaust has slit a few mounts, the auto box has leaked all its fluid away and interior in general could use refresh.
Will it be too difficult to get the car back on the road? No, I don’t think so.
Will it be without sinking a ton of money in to it and by the end of the year? Well, that I can’t promise.